Thursday, February 17, 2011
One Man's Trash is Another Man's...Costume?
In an effort to start replacing the props and costumes that were lost in the recent roof collapse of the Oddfellows storage space at 505 Main Street in Middletown, Oddfellows will be collecting donated items and putting on a tag sale to raise money.
Donated items will be accepted at Oddfellows Playhouse at 128 Washington Street, Middletown on February 25, March 4 and March 11 from 10 a.m. to noon and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and on Sat., March 5 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
“While all donations are appreciated, we simply can't keep everything,” said Jeffery Allen, Producing Artistic Director for Oddfellows. “Our designers, artists and technical director will select the pieces we will need,” he said.
All other items will be sold at a tag sale set for Sat., Apr. 16 at Oddfellows Playhouse. The proceeds from this tag sale will be used to offset the theater’s production costs.
“We lost 2,000 costumes including everything we need to costume 200 circus performers during our summer circus,” said Matt Pugliese. “At $100 a performer, just that alone is a $20,000 loss,” he said.
Financial donations may also be made to immediately help with the production costs of shows set to take the stage beginning with the Mar. 10 performance of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.
Financial donations can be made online or for more information regarding items for the tag sale contact Paul at (860) 347-6143 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As A Side Bar:
To help replenish the supplies that dress our actors and furnish our stages, Oddfellows is seeking unwanted items from your closets. All items are welcomed but these specific items are always in need:
MENS (all sizes)
• suits, jackets, slacks, khakis: all colors, but preferably black, gray, navy, and tan
• button down shirts, all colors, preferably white and light colors
• ties, all types and patterns
• dress shoes, all colors, preferably black
• top coats, preferably dark colors
• vests, tailored and knit in black, gray, and brown
• sweaters, pullover and cardigan, preferably black , gray, and brown
• vintage hats, any type, particularly felt fedoras, hombeurgs, bowlers, and newsboy types
• suspenders, and belts, any type
WOMENS ( all sizes)
• suits, jackets, slacks, khakis all colors, but preferably black, gray, navy, and tan
• blouses, all types, all colors, preferably non-patterned
• skirts, all types, all colors
• dresses, non-formal, day wear
• dress shoes, all types, all colors, preferably black
• topcoats, preferably dark colors
• vintage hats, all types, all colors
• dress gloves
• plastic or wooden hangers, suit and pant hangers
• large plastic storage bins
• old suitcases and travel accessories
• lamps and period looking items
• house wares
• old crates and boxes
• fake or prop food items
• any vintage items in general