Oddfellows Playhouse has embarked on a search for an Artistic Director. The position has been vacant at the Playhouse since May of 2011, when Artistic Director Jeffery Allen departed to become the Assistant Director at the Center for Lifelong Learning at Ivy Tech in Bloomington, IN.
The artistic and programmatic responsibilities have since been led by Executive Director Matt Pugliese.
"Restoring the role of Artistic Director is a critical need for the Playhouse. This is an investment in the capacity of the organization, and most importantly, the experience that our young people and our community enjoy," said Pugliese. "After much discussion, the board and I agree that this is the right move for Oddfellows."
The Search Committee seeks to identify candidates who will work closely with Oddfellows’ Executive Director and Board of Directors to build upon the theatre’s 38-year history of artistic and educational achievement. The Board intends to identify the successful candidate in late June, with a starting date and introduction to the community in July.
Oddfellows Playhouse seeks a dynamic artistic leader to oversee its artistic and education programs. The Artistic Director will select and produce a diverse season of plays and programs for the Teen Repertory and Junior Repertory Companies, develop engaging and quality educational Afterschool Programs, oversee the Children’s Circus of Middletown, develop In-School Programs & Residences, lead new ventures and initiatives and special events. Successful candidates will have proven leadership acumen, excellent communication skills, a commitment to theatre education and mentoring young professional artists, and experience in community building.
Send substantive letter, resume, and references by May 15 to: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or AD Search, ODDFELLOWS PLAYHOUSE, 128 Washington St, Middletown, CT 06457. No phone calls please.
Oddfellows Playhouse will offer the successful candidate an opportunity to steer a Connecticut’s largest youth theater program. The new artistic director will find Matthew Pugliese, an accomplished Executive Director, committed to working to steward Oddfellows’ artistic and organizational ambitions. The artistic director should feel comfortable to work with the Executive Director to create programming that adheres to Oddfellows’ mission and also aligns with the theatre’s fiscal needs. The new artistic director will have the opportunity to work with the board, staff, and Executive Director to strengthen his or her own role in the organization.
Oddfellows’ next artistic director will find that the organization has a committed Board of Directors that works in collaboration with Oddfellows’ leadership to ensure the Playhouse’s success into the future.
Qualifications and Qualities
Candidates must demonstrate:
• The ability to select, produce, and/or direct exciting, vibrant theatrical experiences;
• A commitment to balancing artistic initiatives and risks with responsible fiscal management;
• The ability to form collaborative partnerships with the Executive director, board, and staff to provide the theatre with clear, unified direction;
• A history of artistic/educational achievement and an inspiring creative vision;
• A dynamic public presence that will inspire the board, staff, and patrons to support the artistic and organizational vision;
• A commitment to integrating artistic and education initiatives to maximize synergy while maintaining high-quality programming;
• The desire and ability to participate in fundraising activities on behalf of the theatre and to engage as a civic leader to further Oddfellows’ organizational interests;
• A dedication to developing education programs that utilize theatre as a tool to teach the youth of the community;
• The ability to provide innovative responses to organizational challenges and to exercise effective artistic and organization leadership within a complex organizational environment;
• A commitment to diversity throughout the organization; and
• A strong desire to lead in all aspects of institutional advancement and development.
Compensation will be commensurate with the leadership role that this position represents for the theatre and the community. The range of benefits includes medical insurance, paid vacations, and personal and sick leave.
ODDFELLOWS PLAYHOUSE MISSION STATEMENT
Oddfellows Playhouse builds essential skills for life through the theatrical arts.
ODDFELLOWS PLAYHOUSE ARTISTIC STATEMENT
We believe in the creation of artistic work that invites our participants to pose questions about their world. We believe in work that creates a foundation of theatrical knowledge. We believe in an artistic product that is relevant to our world, our lives, and our time. We believe in an artistic environment that welcomes innovation and allows for the full exploration of new ideas, and welcomes creative risk.
ODDFELLOWS PLAYHOUSE MAINSTAGE SEASON-2012-13
William Shakespeare’s Land of the Dead: A True and Accurate Account of the 1599 Zombie Plague
By John Heimbuch
Adapted by Eric Coble from the novel “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain
A Civil War Christmas: An American Musical Celebration
by Paula Vogel, Music by Daryl Waters
Alice Threw the Looking Glass: Based on Strunk & White’s The Elements of Style
By John Walch
Nightmares & Streetscapes: An Evening of One Act Plays
By Edward Albee, Christopher Durang, Eric Lane and Peter Tolan
Our Town by Thornton Wilder
Snow Angel by David Lindsay-Abaire
Kurt Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse 5 adapted by Eric Simonson
The Farnsworth Invention by Aaron Sorkin